to the Senate District 33 DFL web site!
Senate District 33 consists of the communities of Corcoran, parts of Chanhassen, Deephaven, Excelsior, Greenfield, Greenwood, Independence, Long Lake, Loretto, Maple Plain, Medina, Minnetonka Beach, Minnetrista, Mound, Orono, Shorewood, Spring Park, St. Bonifacius, Tonka Bay, and Wayzata.
Happenings in SD 33:
Great Candidates; Great Campaigns – Let’s Turn this Blue in 2016!
Our three tremendous candidates, Norrie Thomas for MN House in 33A, Brad Brothen for MN House in 33B, and Sherrie Pugh for MN Senate, are running great campaigns! They have been door knocking, marching in parades, and attending events across our district – meeting voters and discussing issues that matter in our district.
You can make a difference in this election! Please join in helping our candidates reach out! There are many ways to make your mark:
- Join us in the JJ Hill Days Parade in Wayzata on Sept 11th. Line up around 1:00 p.m. – Parade at 2:30.
- Door knock with candidates. Contact any candidate to walk with them; don’t be shy. You can just walk along, record results, and manage literature if you wish. This is the essential way we reach voters.
- Enter Data – volunteer with a campaign to enter their door knocking data.
- Donate – the candidates are making their final campaign plans. Your donations are essential to their ability to reach voters. Any level makes a difference.
- Phone Call – volunteer to make calls for campaigns.
- House Party – Sponsor a house party with neighbors and friends with candidates.
Contact the candidates:
Feel free to contact me for help getting connected!
Chair, SD33 DFL
Walk with SD 33 DFL in the Chanhassen 4th of July Parade!
Meet the Candidates Event – Show Your Support; Have Fun!
RSVP to Cathy Olson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Great Candidates Endorsed by SD 33 DFL:
We are proud to announce that we endorsed three exceptional candidates at our May Central Committee Meeting!
Our candidates are: Norrie Thomas for House in 33A, Brad Brothen for House in 33B, and Sherrie Pugh for Senate.
Each of them has deep roots in our community and brings a unique perspective with a broad range of knowledge and skills. They have already shared a good understanding of our district with tremendous enthusiasm and a keen desire to reach out to voters!
Please join me in congratulating our candidates on their endorsements! Stay tuned for more contact info and event schedules!
Thank you to all for supporting the DFL in SD 33! It’s going to be a great election year!
Photo below (left to right) – Sherrie Pugh, Brad Brothen, and Norrie Thomas.
2016 Record Breaking March 1st Caucus Attendance – Great April 9th Convention!
We enjoyed record breaking turnout for our March 1st caucuses conducted at 3 sites across our district. A special thank you to our tremendous conveners and all who stepped in to help on caucus night – what a special event! What a great group of Precinct Chairs and Vice Chairs elected on caucus night.
We saw so many new faces and the energy was tremendous! We’re looking forward to engaging with everyone as we work together to turn this district blue!
Our April 9th Convention at Orono High School had tremendous Delegate turnout and was an energetic day. We enjoyed tremendous speakers and had a great round of walking sub-caucuses to elect our CD3/State Delegates and Alternates – what fun for all of our new Delegates!
Thank you to all of our exceptional Pre-convention committees who worked so hard to make our convention a success. It was a smooth running day and a great environment for everyone! We voted for and sent forward our full slate of 34 Resolutions!
Our new Central Committee is starting our journey on May 4th and we are looking forward to engaging an exceptional group of Officers, Directors, and Precinct Chairs!
Let’s keep up the energy in our district as we step into this exciting election year! Stay tuned for upcoming events and please reach out with ideas. Remember, every person can make a difference – all volunteers and ideas are welcome!
Some great pics of caucus and convention below:
2016 Precinct Caucuses – March 1st, 7PM
The 2016 year in politics is ramping up. Precinct Caucuses were held in March with record attendance!
You might ask – ‘Why come to Precinct Caucus?‘
- Meet other Democrats in your area.
- Learn about what is happening in the DFL in our district.
- Meet candidates – many candidates attend caucus to meet voters.
- Complete preference ballot for President.
- Voice your position on issues – offer Resolutions to DFL Platform (come prepared by filling out the Resolution form).
- Volunteer to lead/elect leaders in your precinct – Precinct Chair/Vice Chair.
- Volunteer to help on Pre-Convention Committees.
- Volunteer/elect Delegates to the Senate District 33 DFL Convention (April 9th).
- Volunteer to be an Election Judge.
This is the grassroots action of our party. Your participation makes this a great experience for everyone!
Ways you can VOLUNTEER to help:
- Convene a Precinct Caucus – we train you and it is fun!
- Help people find their precinct locations at caucus
- Greet people at caucus site
- Join a Pre-Convention Committee (help arrange convention, endorse, modify SD33 DFL constitution, etc)
Just send an e-mail to Joe Casey, (former) Vice Chair (email@example.com) or Cathy Olson, Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) to volunteer. We welcome your participation and are planning a caucus full of information and action.
Those unable to attend caucus were able to put forth their names as Convention Delegate, Precinct Chair/Vice Chair, Pre-Convention Committee member, or an Election Judge by sending Cathy Olson (email@example.com) a completed Absentee Participation Form.
Participation is key to success – we have made great progress. With your help we can turn this district blue!
It was great to see you in March!
Chair’s Ask – Jump in and Support the DFL Right here in our Community!
You can make a difference; the time is now to prepare for the 2016 election year!
Our best opportunity for electing candidates to the MN House and Senate is in Presidential Election years. In the last presidential cycle we turned in the highest DFL results in the history of our district, and we couldn’t have done it without you! We need your help to build on this success in the upcoming presidential election year.
Minnesota is back on track in a big way. Politico rates us the best state in the country, CNBC rates us as the sixth best state for businesses, and we’ve funded all-day kindergarten. We turned a $6 billion deficit into a more than $1 billion surplus so we finally have the resources to invest in areas that have been neglected for over a decade, like infrastructure, education, and property tax relief. Unfortunately, our current representatives have not been a part of any of this. As a matter of fact, they’ve been naysayers every step of the way and are now trying to un-do this progress.
You ask – How can I help? There are many ways – grassroots participation and support are key to our success! Join in and have fun:
- Be a Precinct Chair or help a precinct chair? Lead right in our community
- Make Phone Calls
- Go door to door (with a candidate or doing voter id work)
- Events: March in Parades, Go to Rallies, go to voter forums and debates
- Write letters to editor or content for newsletter/website
- Envelope stuffing for communications
- Host a gathering at your house.
- Attend an event in SD33; bring friends
- Anything else that you can do to help that we haven’t thought of yet.
The Senate District provides essential financial support of our candidates – this is typically the starting foundation for a new campaign. In addition, as your DFL focus in Senate District 33, we:
- Recruit Candidates
- Provide communication and voter education on key issues and policies
- Conduct caucus and convention – fully funded by us
- Organize volunteers – host door knocks, phone banks, voter registration
- Organize events to rally democrats and increase DFL presence
- Identify New Voters – Provide election information – Get out the Vote
We are a self-supporting organization. With your help we can enjoy a larger presence in our community and elect responsible leaders. We are confident that we can turn the tide in District 33.
This is your chance to give at the most local, grass-roots level. Your contribution will help us recruit candidates, provide voter education on key issues, organize volunteers and events to rally democrats and more, right here in your community.
Let’s not let Minnesota be derailed. Our current GOP representatives consistently vote with the most extreme elements of the Republican Party in the legislature and advocate for their own views over those of their constituents. They’re attempting to drive us back into the ditch by repealing the policies that have been moving Minnesota forward.
Please consider a donation in any amount. Click here to donate.
Please feel free to contact me at any time.
Chair, SD33 DFL
2014 SD 33 DFL Convention
Thank you to all delegates and volunteers for making it a great convention on March 15th! We are pleased to have endorsed Todd Mikkelson for MN House in 33A. Congratulations, Todd – it will be a great campaign!
We enjoyed a wonderful slate of speakers as shown in our pictures below – candidates for Secretary of State, Deborah Hillstrom and Steve Simon; MN State Auditor Rebecca Otto, MN Attorney General Lori Swanson; candidate for US House in CD3, Sharon Sund; Denise Bader on behalf of Governor Dayton’s campaign; and MN DFL Vice Chair Marge Hoffa.
Congratulations to our new officers and directors elected in our convention (see the “About” page); your willingness to provide leadership for the next two years is greatly appreciated!
We also had the pleasure of electing our delegates/alternates that will represent SD33 DFL on the State Central Committee and in the CD3 convention as well as the State Convention. Thank you to all for your time and for representing our district!
We look forward to a busy campaign season and hope to see many at upcoming events – stay tuned to our events page for ways to participate. With your help, we can turn this district blue!
Chair, SD33 DFL
Reflections on 2012:
2012 was an election year full of activity across Senate District 33. We started with the flurry of activity on redistricting and ran right into election season. It was a Summer and Fall full of parades, public events, candidate forums, voter outreach, and a tremendous event with Governor Dayton.
Thanks to everyone in the District for great enthusiasm and participation. We are looking forward to further strengthening our presence in SD 33 throughout 2013.
Connect with us: