Minnesota’s PCR (Political Contribution Refund) program is reinstated as of July 1, 2017.

The rules – 
1.  A contribution received prior to July 1, 2017 is not eligible for the refund program. The date of receipt is the day the party unit receives the contribution; not the deposit date.

2.  The maximum refund contributors may receive is $50 per person or $100 for married couples per calendar year. So for example, if a contributor has already received a refund for a contribution to a political party unit the contributor will not be eligible for another refund based on a subsequent contribution to an eligible candidate within the same year.

3.  Only monetary contributions qualify for the refund. In-kind donations of goods or services do not qualify for the PCR program.

4.  The PCR program is only available to individuals who are eligible to vote in Minnesota. This means that the contributor must be at least 18 years old, a US citizen, and a resident of the state.

5.  An individual may file only one refund application per year with the Department of Revenue; there is no opportunity to amend the application.

6.  The refund program is not tied to the state income tax form. PCR forms must be filed separately. A taxpayer may file a claim for the PCR immediately after making the contribution. Claims for contributions made during one calendar year must be filed not later than April 15th of the next calendar year.

7.  To receive a refund, a contributor must:

     • Get a PCR receipt from the political party that received the contribution.

     • Fill out the PCR application form.  

     • Mail both the application form and PCR receipt to the Minnesota Department of Revenue using the address on the application form.

How do I request a refund?

Click on the link to complete the form on-line and then print it out to a local printer.
Or, click on the link to download, print and complete the application.
2017 Form PCR, Political Contribution Refund Application.

Include copies of the receipts you received for contributions being claimed on your application and send your completed form to the Minnesota Department of Revenue.